검색

커뮤니티

보도기사

‘Nepal should tap mountains for prosperity’

페이지 정보

작성자엄홍길휴먼재단 작성일19-06-05 10:58 조회3,844회 댓글0건

본문

http://therisingnepal.org.np/news/31747 

A legendary South Korean alpinist-turned-social worker, Um Hong Gil, is the principal of National Hiking School and an advisor to Korean Alpine Federation. Um, 58, is the first alpinist to climb the 16 highest peaks of the world. As someone who considers Nepal as his second home, Um has been playing a vital role in promoting the Himalayan nation as a leading tourist destination in his home country. Through the Um Hong Gil Human Foundation (UHGHF), he has also been contributing in the education sector in Nepal since 2009. The organisation has joined hands with Nepal Mountaineering Association (NMA) to build a mountaineering school in Manang. 

Recognising his significant contribution to Nepal’s tourism development, the government has honoured him with the prestigious ‘Sagarmatha National Award’. Minister for Communications and Information Technology Gokul Prasad Baskota presented the award to Um amidst a special ceremony organised in Kathmandu to mark the 12th International Sagarmatha (Mt. Everest) Day on May 29. Ballav Dahal of The Rising Nepal caught up with Um to talk about Nepal’s tourism prospects and his plans to support mountain tourism and education. Excerpts:

um

How have you felt after receiving the Sagarmatha National Award?
Mt. Everest has always been very meaningful for me in many ways. Back in 1985, I first tried to climb Mt. Everest (first attempted eight-thousander) but was unable to reach atop. Despite the failure that year, I was able to enjoy my first success from the same peak in 1988. This is also my most climbed mountain. I stood atop Mt. Everest three times (1988, 2002 and 2003). In 2005, I led a ‘Human Expedition’ to the world’s tallest peak where, unfortunately, I lost my first Sherpa friend. Later, a movie entitled ‘The Himalayas’ showcased my story and all of my activities on Mt. Everest. 
I always felt that I was blessed by the God of Himalayas. I feel that the God sent me alive back from all the 16 peaks to carry out more important responsibilities. Through UHGHF, I am repaying the help and blessings that I received by lending my hand to the needy children so that they can materialise their dreams. 
My love for Nepal is the reason why I take this beautiful nation as my second home. I have spent most of my energetic times here by climbing mountains and doing social services. 
I am so happy and blessed to receive the Sagarmatha National Award. For me, this is not an individual award. This is for all of my friends, who were and have been associated with Mt. Everest. I am really thankful to the Government of Nepal, NMA and all other respective authorities for nominating me for this prestigious award. It has given me an opportunity to think about my past and future, too.
You must have felt that the honour has added additional responsibility to you. 
Yes, it has made me more responsible. I have been trying my best to help Nepal. However, the award has made me more determined to work in the field of education in this country. I will continue to help the needy Nepalis.

Tell us about the proposed Manang Mountaineering School.
Personally, I believe that Nepal must be able to use her mountains for achieving economic prosperity through tourism development. For this, the country needs to focus on both trekking and mountaineering. The country is in dire need of more professional guides to serve tourists. Other stakeholders should also be given professional training.
I am sad that Nepal, despite being home to so many mountains, does not have any mountaineering school managed by the Government of Nepal. When tourism stakeholders do not have much-needed education and skills, the tourism industry cannot grow properly. Being a very sensitive sector, tourism is mostly related with issues of safety. The country has witnessed an increase in number of mountaineering accidents due to lack of properly trained mountain guides.
Though belated, the UHGHF and the NMA are in the process of establishing a modern mountaineering school from where all the tourism related stakeholders can get professional training on both safety and techniques. Such skills will definitely make a difference. The two organisations have already signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) in this connection.
I would like to request one and all, including the government, to work together for developing modern facilities for tourism. Collaborative efforts between the government and concerned non-governmental agencies are a must to bring about a meaningful result.

Nepal is going to organise Visit Nepal Year 2020 with a target of attracting 2 million international tourists next year. As a veteran mountaineer and Nepal’s good friend, what are your suggestions for the government and the tourism industry? 
Kathmandu is the entrance to Nepal. The city must look cleaner and more beautiful in order to entice tourists. The roads and other facilities must be kept neat and clean. Nepali people should feel that the tourism sector is important for their country’s socio-economic development. They need to extend their necessary support to the government for developing tourism industry. 
Nepal boasts many UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites. The government and the private sector must work towards protecting and promoting such invaluable heritage sites that are a major tourist attraction.
Besides, it is time for Nepal to come up with a comprehensive plan for upgrading trekking trails, transportation system, accommodation facilities and fooding.
Tourism marketing and promotion is equally important. As a tourist destination, the country must pay due attention towards highlighting the country’s unrivalled products globally. The country must go for consumer-based marketing through massive advertisement campaign worldwide.
Moreover, it is necessary for the Nepalis to have a feeling that they can do it. Educating all the stakeholders is very essential. The government must be able to take the people into confidence and encourage them to participate in tourism and infrastructure development activities. Media also has an important role to play in enhancing the nation’s image.

What efforts should Nepal make to bring in more Korean tourists?
Koreans are mostly interested in adventure activities like trekking and mountaineering. The number of Koreans coming to Nepal has been on the rise over the year, thanks to direct flights of Korean Air. 
I think Nepal needs to carry out researches on type and interest of tourists coming from major source markets. For example, the country could offer a free visa to those tourists who have visited the country five times in the past. This type of policy could be helpful for the country to receive more repeat visitors. The number of tourists will go up in due course of time as the repeat visitors recommend their friends and relatives for visiting this country, which is unique in terms of scenic beauty and cultural diversity.

Finally, what are the activities being carried out by your organisation here in Nepal?
We have been working in the field of education, health and tourism in Nepal since 2009 through UHGHF. We have already built 15 schools and two are under construction. We have constructed a hospital in Namche and have been providing scholarship to 32 Sherpa children whose parents lost their lives during the climbing.
I believe that the work we have done until now has remained very satisfactory. But such activities could not be performed without the help of many generous people and organisations. I would like to thank them for their great support and we look forward to working together with them in the future as well.

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

재단법인 엄홍길휴먼재단대표 : 이재후사업자등록번호 : 104-82-10709

주소 : (03049) 서울특별시 종로구 삼청로9길 5, 상진빌딩 3층
대표번호 : 02-736-8850FAX : 02-736-8858E-mail : uhfg8848@hanmail.net

Copyright ⓒ 2019. UM HONG GIL HUMAN FOUNDATION. All Rights Reserved.

재단법인 엄홍길휴먼재단 후원전용계좌

우리은행 1006-880-008848 (재단법인 엄홍길휴먼재단)

기부금 영수증 등 후원내역 관리와 감사의 선물을 드릴 수 있도록
연락 부탁드립니다.